Raisins & Grapes poisonous to dogs.

If you have a dog or know someone who does … PLEASE read this.

This was checked out on Snopes and it is true.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville , Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate
half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30PM on Tuesday.
He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but
the owner didn’t call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure
but hadn’t seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in
immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the
doctor there was like me – had heard something about it, but…. Anyway, we
contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to
give IV fluids at 1 ½ times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the
next 48-72 hours.

The! dog’ s BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32
(normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal).
Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV
catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the
BUN was over
40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.
At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to
MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as
overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
couldn’t control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated
and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to
220..

He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

This is a very sad case – great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
including our ex-handler’s. Any exposure should give rise to immediate
concern.

Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville , Ohio Even if you
don’t have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to
them.

Categories
Recent Posts
Pages
Archives